1. Last night I met up with a friend of mine who I hadn’t seen in 2 years. We had a
lot of ___________ to do! ( = we had a lot of news to tell each other)
a) catching up b) catching on c) catching out
2. The detective ___________ to their plan. ( = realized what their plan was)
a) caught up b) caught on c) caught in
3. P1: So that story wasn’t true? P2: No, I ___________.
a) made it up b) made it on c) made it out
4. I can’t ___________ ( = decipher) what he wrote here.
a) make up b) make over c) make out
5. They ___________. = They changed her appearance. ( = made her look better)
a) made her out b) made her over c) made her out
6. The police ___________ to be a dangerous criminal. ( = described him in a way
so as to make him seem like a dangerous criminal)
a) made him out b) made him over c) made him up
7. She ___________ many different shirts, but none of them fit.
a) tried in b) tried on c) tried up
8. He ___________ (= quickly and eagerly accepted) the opportunity to meet his
a) jumped in b) jumped at c) jumped toward
9. She disagrees now, but she’ll ___________ to our way of thinking. ( = she will
realize that our way of thinking is correct)
a) come over b) come in c) come around
10. We have to ___________ at the airport two hours before our flight.
a) check up b) check in c) check around
1) a 2) b 3) a 4) c 5) b 6) a 7) b 8) b 9) c 10) b
1. AP1: re you guys still fighting? P2: No, we made ___________ ( = reconciled) yesterday.
a) up b) over c) around
2. I just wanted to follow ___________ on what we talked about last week.
a) in b) up c) around
3. Whatever you do, don’t bring ___________ ( = start talking about) what
happened in Paris.
a) around b) up c) on
4. I ran ___________ my professor at the bus stop. ( = I met him *by chance*)
a) away b) into c) around
5. We ran ___________ of toilet paper.� = We have no more toilet paper.
a) away b) along c) out
6. He always plays ___________ ( = emphasizes) the fact that he was raised in a
a) up b) over c) at
7. I talked her ___________ buying ( = convinced her to buy) a Toyota.
a) around b) away c) into
8. Don’t try to talk me ___________ of it. I’ve made a decision and I will stick to it.
a) around b) out c) away
9. To make a decision = To make ___________ your mind
a) up b) on c) upon
10. We’re looking ___________ ( = examining) the problem right now.
a) in b) into c) onto
1) a 2) b 3) b 4) b 5) c 6) a 7) c 8) b 9) a 10) b