1. What do waitresses do? They wait ___________ tables. They take customers’
orders, bring their food, etc.
a) up b) on c) at
2. They really ___________ the prices ( = raised the prices a lot), didn’t they?
a) jerked up b) jacked up c) jacked in
3. We have to go. = We have to ___________.
a) go off b) take off c) leave off
4. We named our son ___________ his grandfather. ( = We gave our son the same
name that his grandfather has/had)
a) after b) for c) around
5. Our plans to open a restaurant fell ___________. ( = failed to happen)
a) away b) out c) through
6. Make sure you read ___________ the company ( = do some research about the
company) before your interview.
a) up on b) over at c) into
7. Don’t read too much ___________ what she said. ( = Don’t analyze it too much)
She was only kidding.
a) with b) to c) into
8. They drew ___________ ( = created) a contract, and I signed it this morning.
a) up b) out c) in
9. To ___________ means to wear formal or fancy clothes.
a) formal up b) dress up c) fancy up
10. Take ___________ your jacket. = Remove your jacket.
a) away b) out c) off
1) b 2) b 3) b 4) a 5) c 6) a 7) c 8) a 9) b 10) c
1. The opposite of “dressing up” is “dressing ___________”, which means wearing
a) below b) under c) down
2. If you work too hard for too long, you might become exhausted, in other words –
a) burn up b) burn out c) burn over
3. He’s got a very high fever! = He’s ___________!
a) burning down b) burning out c) burning up
4. Can you help me ___________ up the buttons at the back of my dress?
a) do b) close c) push
5. Which one of these does NOT mean “to come for a visit”?
a) to pop by b) to drop off c) to drop by
6. I have to go ___________ the kids at school. I’ll be back in a little while.
a) drop over b) drop in c) drop off
7. Sir, please sit down. The plane is about to ___________. ( = leave the ground)
a) go off b) give off c) take off
8. The rotten apples were ___________ ( = causing) a really bad smell.
a) giving off b) giving on c) giving up
9. My alarm clock ___________ ( = started ringing) at 5:00 AM this morning.
a) went in b) went off c) got off
10. To explode = To ___________
a) blow up b) blow off c) blow over
1) c 2) b 3) c 4) a 5) b 6) c 7) c 8) a 9) b 10) a