1. She ___________ the red dress instead of the blue one.
a) put on b) placed on c) put off
2. He’s not at work today. = He’s ___________ today.
a) up b) on c) off/out
3. The prisoners were ___________ by the police.
a) taken away b) taken off c) taken on
4. I was ___________ ( = surprised) by his reaction.
a) taken away b) put on c) taken aback
5. You’re ___________! = You’re trying to trick me. (* not in a bad way*)
a) putting me off b) putting me on c) putting me out
6. Jim was tired of digging, so his friend ___________.
a) helped him in b) helped him over c) helped him out
7. He ___________ his father. = He’s similar to his father.
a) takes on b) takes about c) takes after
8. He ___________ at 7:00 this morning.
a) woke about b) woke up c) woke in
9. To string someone ___________ means to keep someone in a state of deception
or false hope.
a) along b) around c) away
10. I don’t really know this city. Could you ___________ a bit? ( = show me where
a) show me inside b) show me around c) show me down
1) a 2) c 3) a 4) c 5) b 6) c 7) c 8) b 9) a 10) b